Mouthwatering Grilled Huli Huli Rooster is the proper taste packed rooster recipe! Marinated in a candy and spicy, sauce after which cooked till it’s tender and juicy. You’re going to like this Hawaiian grilled rooster served with pineapple and rice!
Juicy Pineapple Grilled Rooster
Huli Huli Rooster isn’t just for restaurant menus. You may make this scrumptious Hawaiian grilled rooster proper by yourself grill, and it’s extremely juicy and flavorful! That is one rooster recipe you’re assured to be grilling all yr lengthy. It begins with a mouthwatering marinade ready with pineapple and soy sauce. A bit like teriyaki, and stuffed with candy and spicy tastiness! The rooster is left to take in all the flavour, and is then grilled to have simply the correct quantity of char. You’re going to go bananas (pineapples?) over this superb pineapple rooster!
We beloved serving our huli huli rooster thighs with white rice and grilled pineapple. Hearth up the grill and luxuriate in!
What’s Huli Huli Rooster?
Huli Huli Rooster originates in Hawaii, and a long time later it’s nonetheless an island favourite! Historically, huli huli rooster is a complete rooster (or parts) cooked on spits over a wood-fired grill. The rooster is turned because it cooks, and is basted in a candy and spicy huli huli sauce.
What’s Huli Huli in English?
Fittingly, “huli huli” means “flip, flip” in Hawaiian, the way in which the rooster is cooked.
Who invented Huli Huli Rooster?
A person named Ernest Morgado is credited with inventing huli huli rooster, when he first made teriyaki-style rooster for farmers within the Fifties.
Layers of taste come collectively within the scrumptious marinade for this huli huli rooster. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Rooster: Boneless, skinless rooster thighs with the surplus fats trimmed off. Rooster breast may also work for this recipe.
- Pineapple: Pineapple juice for the marinade in addition to (non-compulsory) pineapple slices for grilling and serving.
- Soy Sauce: Brings the Asian taste to the teriyaki-style marinade.
- Ketchup: A touch of tangy tomato sweetness.
- Brown Sugar: I exploit mild brown sugar, because it has simply sufficient caramelized taste.
- Crimson Pepper Flakes: Crushed pink pepper brings a bit of zing to the sauce.
- Sesame Oil: Sesame oil is admittedly the perfect by way of taste. Nonetheless, in case you don’t have it accessible, one other impartial oil like canola may also work.
- Recent Garlic & Ginger: Minced.
Tips on how to Make Huli Huli Rooster
The Hawaiians have been on to one thing with this tender, candy and spicy rooster! The flavors are simply divine, and it’s insanely straightforward to arrange and grill. Right here’s the way you make it:
Make the Marinade: Whisk collectively the pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, pink pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil.
Marinade the Rooster: Place the rooster thighs in a big bowl or in a resealable bag and pour the marinade over prime, ensuring every part is coated. Depart the rooster to marinate within the fridge (for so long as attainable!).
Grill: To make sure a fair prepare dinner in your rooster, take away it from the fridge about half an hour earlier than you intend to grill it. Grill the rooster on all sides till it’s cooked by. You’ll be able to grill the pineapple slices on the identical time; they caramelize fantastically and are nice to serve with huli huli rooster!
How Lengthy Ought to I Marinate the Rooster?
For finest outcomes, the rooster ought to marinate within the fridge for 3-6 hours on the very least. Nonetheless, the true magic occurs in a single day, and even after 24 hours! Depart that marinade to essentially work its approach into the rooster. It takes a bit of extra planning, however the taste payoff is completely value it!
Ideas for Success!
- Cook dinner to the Proper Temperature: Rooster is completed cooking when it reaches an inside temperature of 165°F. Use a kitchen thermometer in case you’re uncertain! The excellent news is, rooster thighs are much less more likely to turn out to be dry due to darker meat and extra fats.
- Let the Rooster Relaxation After Grilling: Like most meats, permitting rooster to relaxation beneath foil after taking it off the grill will assist to maintain it flavorful and juicy. Resting lets the moisture redistribute, so give it about 10 minutes or so earlier than serving.
- If You’re Utilizing Rooster Breasts As an alternative: It’s a good suggestion to pound them to a uniform thickness in order that they prepare dinner evenly. Additionally word to take rooster breasts off the grill only a smidge beneath 165°F, as they’ll proceed to prepare dinner as they relaxation.
- Set Apart Some Marinade for Basting: If you happen to’d love to do it the genuine approach and baste your huli huli rooster whereas it grills, put aside a number of the marinade earlier than it touches the uncooked rooster. Don’t reuse marinade that has are available contact with the uncooked rooster thighs, as this could possibly be a recipe for meals poisoning!
- No Grill? No Downside: Make this huli huli recipe simply within the oven by cooking the rooster at 400°F for about 20 minutes. You’ll be able to even prepare dinner it on the stovetop!
What to Serve with Grilled Pineapple Rooster
That is the proper recipe for household dinners, weekend barbeques, and potlucks! There are numerous methods you’ll be able to serve your grilled rooster:
Tips on how to Retailer and Reheat Leftovers
Any leftover huli huli rooster could be saved hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days. It makes fantastic leftover chilly rooster salads, rooster wraps, or you can even reheat it! Heat the rooster within the microwave or within the oven till it’s heated by, and serve.
Can I Freeze This?
Grilled rooster could be stored frozen in a freezer-safe bag or container for as much as 3 months. You’ll be able to retailer particular person parts on their very own in case you’re making this recipe as meal prep! Thaw the rooster in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Simple Rooster Recipes
This Grilled Huli Huli Rooster is the proper summertime meal! Ready with tender and juicy rooster thighs marinated in a candy and spicy teriyaki-style sauce. Serve this Hawaiian rooster with grilled pineapple and rice!
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup mild brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed pink pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 1/2 kilos boneless, skinless rooster thighs, extra fats trimmed
- Non-compulsory – pineapple slices
- In a medium bowl combine collectively the marinade elements: pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, pink pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil.
- Place the rooster thighs in a big zip-top bag or bowl and pour the marinade on prime, coating all of the rooster. Marinate the rooster within the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or in a single day.
- Take away the rooster half-hour earlier than grilling. Warmth the grill to medium excessive. Grill the rooster on all sides for six minutes, or till the rooster is cooked by and the interior temperature reaches 165°F.
- If desired, grill the pineapple slices for two minutes on the recent grill. Serve with the rooster.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: grilled rooster recipe, hawaiian rooster
Need To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: