In the event you’re in search of one thing refreshing to sip in the course of the summer season, don’t miss this Hugo Cocktail! With hints of floral and citrus, this bubbly Italian spritz cocktail comes along with simply 5 elements.
An Simple Spritz Cocktail
This Hugo Cocktail is perhaps my new summer season cocktail of alternative. It’s gentle and refreshing, with hints of floral, citrus and mint. It’s a kind of drinks you need to sip slowly however are additionally able to drink one other one as quickly as the primary is completed.
Whereas I like my margaritas and sangrias in the summertime as a lot as anybody else, there are simply days once I need one thing just a little completely different. One thing not fairly as sturdy as a margarita or as fruity as sangria. That’s the place this Hugo Cocktail is available in. It’s as simple (or simpler) to make as most different cocktails however the taste is surprising and the right factor to chill you down on a scorching summer season day.
As all good summer season cocktails needs to be, this Hugo Cocktail is simple to make (simply 5 elements) and comes collectively in 3 minutes or much less! You gained’t must take an extended break from the pool to make one in every of these.
What’s a Hugo Cocktail?
The Hugo Cocktail is a comparatively new drink, stated to be invented in 2005 by Roland Gruber in Northern Italy, as a substitute for the Aperol spritz. Much like the drink that impressed it, the Hugo Cocktail is a spritz cocktail made with Prosecco, elderberry syrup or liqueur, and glowing water.
It’s gentle and refreshing with a floral style. When you strive it, you’ll perceive why this drink shortly grew to become a favourite all through Europe in the summertime months!
What You’ll Want
This simple Hugo Cocktail is made with simply 5 elements! I like to recommend retaining extras readily available as I can by no means drink simply one in every of these!
- Elderflower syrup – I take advantage of St. Germain elderflower liqueur as an alternative of syrup, because it’s simpler to seek out right here.
- Prosecco – This Italian glowing wine is the normal ingredient however you’ll be able to substitute one other dry glowing wine of your alternative.
- Glowing water – It’s also possible to use seltzer however keep away from membership soda.
- Mint leaves – Muddling the mint provides a pop of cooling taste to the cocktail.
- Lime – Provides only a trace of citrus to the floral cocktail.
Store This Recipe
How one can Make a Hugo Cocktail
It takes simply 2 steps and three minutes to make this gentle, refreshing summer season drink!
- Muddle the mint. Add ice, lime and mint to a big wine glass. Muddle the mint to launch the oils and create a minty aroma.
- Add the bubbles and serve. Add the elderflower liqueur and Prosecco, then high with glowing water. Gently stir and serve.
Suggestions for Success
It took a handful of variations to seek out the right mixture of elements for the most effective Hugo Cocktail. Right here are some things to remember, that I discovered alongside the best way.
- Use a dry glowing wine. Prosecco is the best choice right here, because it’s the one historically used within the cocktail. Nevertheless, you’ll be able to substitute it for an additional glowing wine. You simply need to make certain the label says “Brut” (dry) otherwise you’ll find yourself with a wholly completely different taste.
- Don’t substitute membership soda. Glowing water and seltzer are nearly the identical factor however membership soda isn’t. Sure, it is going to add extra bubbles to your cocktail – however it is going to additionally change the flavour.
- Muddle the mint. It solely takes a number of seconds nevertheless it really elevates the flavour of this cocktail. I attempted to skip it and the 30 seconds it saved was not value it!
This lovely spritz cocktail is often served earlier than dinner and meant to be sipped, although if I’m being sincere I get pleasure from it at any time of the day. Because it’s so gentle and refreshing, it’s good for sipping by the pool or on the patio within the afternoons.
I serve my Hugo Cocktails in a wine glass with additional lime and mint for garnish.
Can I Make This Forward?
This isn’t a cocktail you need to make upfront, as you need it to be good and bubbly while you sip it. Fortunately, it comes collectively in only a few minutes with little effort!
If you wish to save your self a while, you’ll be able to slice the limes forward of time and separate the mint leaves.
Extra Simple Cocktail Recipes:
In the event you’re in search of one thing completely different to sip this summer season, don’t miss this Hugo Cocktail! With hints of floral and citrus, this bubbly Italian spritz cocktail comes along with simply 5 elements.
- 1 tablespoon elderflower syrup (St. Germain)
- 4 oz. Prosecco
- 1–2 tablespoons glowing water
- 3–4 mint leaves
- 2 slices of lime
- To a big wine glass add ice, lime slices and mint. Muddle just a little bit to launch the aroma from the mint.
- Add elderflower liquor, Prosecco and high with glowing water.
- Gently stir and serve.
Key phrases: hugo spritz, hugo spritz recipe, hugo prosecco, hugo cocktail
For This Recipe